• The Kyle Line - Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh • Strathspey Steam Railway • Jacobite Steam Train • Glen Grant Distillery • Cairngorm Funicular Railway
Sunday: From local joining points we head north to our overnight hotel.
Monday: Today we drive further north through border country and deep into the heart of the Scottish Highlands to Newtonmore, nestled in the foothills of the Cairngorm Mountains.
Tuesday: A great start to our Scottish rail journeys today as we drive to Inverness and join the spectacular Kyle Line – with cameras at the ready, sit back and enjoy an enchanting journey as we wind our way across the North West Highlands. Re-joining our coach at the Kyle of Lochalsh, we return through scenic Glen Shiel and via the tranquil shores of Loch Lochy and Loch Laggan.
Wednesday: This morning it’s to Fort William, to take the UK’s only Mountain Gondola to the summit of the Highlands for truly spectacular views across the range (8 day holidays only).
Thursday: One of the many highlights of our holiday today as we head west to enjoy a ride on the Jacobite Steam Train. This service is regarded as one of the great rail journeys of the world and an unforgettable experience. You can look forward to ‘steaming’ past the much photographed viaduct at Glenfinnan, the beautiful scenery that surrounds Loch Shiel and Loch Morar as well as enjoying visits to Fort William and Mallaig - ‘Gateway to Skye’.
Friday: Enjoy the last, but certainly not the least, of our Scottish rail journeys. We drive to Aviemore and join the Victorian Strathspey Steam Railway for a truly memorable trip through the heart of the Highlands, stopping at Boat of Garten and alighting at Broomhill, where the views are said to be amazing. Our coach will meet us here and take us to Grantown-on-Spey, in the heart of ‘Whisky Country’, and a visit to the Glen Grant Distillery for a tour and, of course, a wee dram!
Saturday: Leaving the Highlands behind we head towards border country and onwards to our overnight stop.
Sunday: Today we journey south at the end of a truly great journey through Scotland.
Please note: On seven day holidays the excursion to Aviemore & the Funicular Railway is omitted. Return home on Saturday
Balavil Hotel, Newtonmore
Situated on the main street, in the centre of Newtonmore, this family run hotel is the perfect base for exploring the Highlands.
• Lounge bar, public bar, restaurant • En-suite bedrooms • Free Wi-Fi • Indoor swimming pool • Full breakfast and three course evening dinner plus tea or coffee • Two nights
entertainment • Lift to most rooms
Swipe left and right
- All rail travel in standard class
- Hotel accommodation as stated with dinner, bed and breakfast from dinner on the day of arrival to breakfast on the day of departure
- Itinerary, admissions and local transfers as stated
- The services of the Grand UK Tour Manager