• Fully escorted throughout • Mountain Goat mini-bus • Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway • Hardknott Pass • Hawkshead • Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway • Coniston Water Steam Yacht ‘Gondola’ • Bowness • Lake Windermere steamer cruise
Monday: We depart by train late morning from London’s Euston station to Oxenholme, Lake District, where we change for the final short journey to Kendal and our hotel for four nights.
Tuesday: We visit beautiful Hawkshead, on our local coach, where William Wordsworth went to school, with its quaint cottages and cobbled lanes before continuing to Coniston and boarding the National Trust owned Steam Yacht ‘Gondola’ for a nostalgic cruise on Coniston Water.
Wednesday: This morning we make our way by local coach to the South Lakes and Haverthwaite to take a ride on the preserved railway to Lakeside. Here we join one of the lake ‘steamers’ for a cruise on Lake Windermere to Bowness before enjoying free time to explore this popular tourist centre at your own pace.
Thursday: A highlight today as we are collected by Mountain Goat minibus to explore the mountains, valleys and lakes not accessible by coach or train. Our tour starts with a drive through wild and rugged Wrynose Pass, before commencing the dramatic ascent of Hardknott Pass, the steepest in Britain. We pause at the remote Hardknott Roman Fort with its stunning views before making our way to the famous miniature Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway through Eskdale. In the afternoon we drive onward to Wastwater, voted ‘Britain’s Favourite View’ and England’s deepest and most dramatic lake before arriving at the splendid 14th century castle of Muncaster surrounded by its internationally acclaimed gardens.
Friday: A morning at leisure in Kendal before we depart Kendal and make our way to Oxenholme Lake District for the direct service back to London Euston.
Times (in local time) are as follows, but are subject to change:
Depart Euston 13.30
Return Euston 15.12
First Class: Euston to Oxenholme Return £99 per person
Please ask for details at the time of booking
County Hotel, Kendal
The County in Kendal is a historic former coaching inn situated near the centre of town, just minutes from the busy High Street.
• Lounge, bar, restaurant • En-suite bedrooms • Free Wi-Fi available • Full breakfast and three course evening dinner plus tea or coffee • Entertainment: Four nights – 8 day tours, Two nights – 5 day tours • Lift
Swipe left and right
|Call to bookMon 24 Sep, 2018
- Twin/Double for sole occ
Call to book
- All rail travel in standard class
- Four nights hotel accommodation with dinner, bed and breakfast
- Itinerary, admissions and local transfers as stated
- The services of the Grand UK Tour Manager